Lexicographers, stop by!
I have been researching the market in search of a dictionary compiling software. Apart from few desktop commercial applications there is also a handful of them at sourceforge.net. But there is really only one free web-based multiuser dictionary management system on the market — Glossword. What does make it really useful for any lexicographer is the following:
- XML as the main dictionary format (you can add whatever dictionary fields you want, edit xml in an external editor and then import it into glossword);
- skin-based design — you can adjust design to your own preferences;
- convenient navigation (find a searched term within seconds, its companions in the index are not far to get hold of);
- admin - lexicographer - user — all have their priviledges in the system (different people can edit different entries of the same dictionary simultaneously!);
- php + MySQL required only, standard hosting plan.
What can be added:
- multimedia support so that dictionary can contain images, audio and video files;
- custom dictionary indexation (nest, reverse, custom, etc.).
The php code is translucent and easy to modify. Way to go, Dmitry! Thank you for the excellent piece of software.
Rating: 5 - Excellent
Reviewed by Vitaly on Aug 31st, 2005